Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Our Little Pre-School Co-Op

This summer we officially made the decision to keep Lisa home for Pre-school. (We’ll probably end up home-schooling our kids, but have reserved the right to make that decision on a year-by-year basis.) This year we felt it would be best to have her start her ‘official learning career’ at home.

While I’m thinking about it, I thought I’d jot down our main goals for Lisa this year - as much for us to look back on as to share with you.

  1. Have as much fun growing, learning about her world, and playing while she still can.
  2. Learn each letter and the sounds they make.
  3. Emphasize reading. Introduce her to a myriad of different kinds and styles of books. Build in her a love for reading – and for learning all new things.
  4. Adjust to life with a new baby sister! I have a feeling that all of us will need extra grace and room to figure out what thriving as a family of five will look like this year!

Anyway, it turns out that several of our close friends were also keeping their toddlers home for Pre-school as well. Over the summer, we decided that it would be fun and beneficial for everyone to get our kids together once a week for a little Pre-school Co-Op. One mom will take on the ‘teaching’ role that week and we’ll all rotate houses – sharing the load.

We’ve just completed our second official week of working our way through the alphabet, and it seems that the kids are having a great time!

Here’s some of what they’ve learned in pictures:
Tiffany hosted the first week and taught about the letter ‘A’.

They started off the day by making apple muffins – taking turns to stir in each ingredient.

muffins 1muffins 2

While those were baking, the kids read ‘Apple Farmer Annie’, found all the A's in their new Bible verse for that week, and then made some ‘A’ alligators. Tiffany also taught them a fun alligator song and they sang the Hokey-Pokey using their ‘arms’. (I’m sure there were more fun things that she did that I have forgotten about too!)

A verse

Allegator 1alligator 2

Here’s everyone enjoying their apple muffins – the younger siblings joining right in!

eating muffins 2eating muffins

This week Erin hosted and taught about the letter ‘B’.

A few highlights:
Tracing the letter ‘B’, and getting to glue on buttons and a banana.

IMG_2287IMG_2288

At this point I actually relieved Tiffany in watching the younger siblings – trying to keep them occupied so the older ones could focus. So I’m actually just guessing that they talked about barns…

IMG_2290IMG_2291

Then read "Barnyard Dance” – which of course required acting along with the characters!

IMG_2293

They had blueberries and blueberry muffins, bananas and banana bread for snack time – yum! Towards the end, Erin let out balloons – which all the kids had a blast with! 

IMG_2297IMG_2298IMG_2299

I’m hosting next week with the letter ‘C’ … and I have quite big shoes to fill! I’m currently putting together some plans and think the kids will have fun with it…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails