Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

My Baptism


This past Sunday I publicly professed my faith in Jesus Christ in what’s known to Protestants as "believer’s baptism". Allow me to expound since many of you know that I was already baptized in the Catholic Church as an infant.

Our church, as do many others, believes that one must comprehend Christ’s authority over our lives so that he can knowingly accept the reason for His sacrifice. Only then are one's past, present, and future sins forgiven. The church recognizes baptism as a subsequent, visual expression of that acceptance. Much like how salvation produces good works, but good works do not earn one’s salvation. I subscribe to each of these beliefs.

Baptisms at our church, as in many others, are done by “immersion”. This is akin to the method employed by John when he baptized Jesus in the Jordan. Therefore, I was completely submerged (even better than Achilles I might add) as you can see below.

I can’t say that public displays like this are pleasant for me, but it was important for me to do this in order to authoritatively lead my daughters (and possibly sons) by example to a similar love and respect for God.

I want to thank my wonderful wife who braved wet floors (at 31 weeks no less!) in order to take these photos. I also want to dedicate this post to my children (present and future) and pray that they develop the same reverence for God that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails